Sunday 22 July 2007

Walking the Dog - Part II

Apparently I am way out of touch. In a previous post, I wrote about the revelation I had regarding contemporary dog owners in European cities.

Yesterday, I was again doing my rounds in the neighbourhood park with my baby boy. On my way there a cyclist towing a doggy trailer flashed past. "Oh look, a cyclist towing a doggy trailer... Hold on, a cyclist towing what?!" This was no home-made effort either. No sir, this was a commercially made kennel-on-wheels. I put myself at ease by reasoning that if huskies have been pulling sleighs for hundreds of years, then this dog is just getting some justice for his northern cousins.

No sooner had I forgotten about the trailer encounter than one of those dog-in-a-baby-carriage-ladies appeared. Not being naïve enough to be thrown again by this sort of thing, I didn't winch. Only, it wasn't a baby carriage. Her canine companion was getting a free ride in a pushchair specially made for dogs. As with the trailer, there is a company out there that earns revenue making buggies for dogs. Fascinating. Right?

When I got home, I told my wife about my amazing discoveries. She said she had recently seen an television item about a dog boutique. In the very city we live in! Go figure, doggy couture. Here is a million dollar idea: a dog breed with a Burberry plaid or Yves Saint Laurent chequered coat.

No comments: