Friday 2 March 2007

Mentors - Part II

"This is... this is really!" He would exclaim. Then, after gulping for air, he would softly puff: "Beautiful". His hands expressively grabbing hold of thin air, his eyes piercing the audience, his head nodding rhythmically up and down. He looked worn out and spent, the back of his shirt drenched, his trousers covered in white chalk powder.

This was how one of my favourite professors taught mathematics. I have heard that he has since been promoted to dean. Well done! Although, I pity the scores of students who would now be missing out as a result of him taking on more management tasks. Because, I have to say, learning math from this man was a nearly spiritual experience.

I am tempted to compare his style of teaching to the way that Horowitz played Rachmaninov. However, a more accurate description might be to say that he taught mathematics like Stevie Ray Vaughan played the blues. You could not help but be moved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is this Prof. Schoeman you're referring to? If not then he also deserves this recognition. He was without a doubt the best lecturer I had during my 4 years at university. Me and my friend Bryan always compared him to Phil Anselmo from Pantera because they had the same yearning desire for "crowd participation". When he wanted us to discuss a problem he would exclaim to the classroom things like "C'mon, make a noise! I can see everybody from the back to the front and I want you to MAKE A NOISE!".